Data Protection and Privacy
- Information We Collect
- How And Why We Use Information
- Sharing Information
- How Long We Keep Information
- How We Protect Your Information
- What Are Your Choices
- What Are Your Rights
- Other Things You Should Know
Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so–for example, to provide our website’s services, to communicate with you, or to make our website’s services better. We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our website’s services, and from outside sources. Let’s go over the information that we collect.
Information You Provide To Us
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic Account Information: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account. For example, we require individuals who sign up for a kalatalasristhisathi.org account to provide first and last names, a username and email address–and that’s it.
- Public Profile Information: If you publish with us or agree to publish reviews of our products anywhere on the internet, we collect the information that you provide for your public profile. For example, if you have a kalatalasristhisathi.org account, your photograph is part of that public profile, along with any other information you put into your public profile, such as links to your social media profiles, blogs/websites, or a short description about yourself. Your public profile information is just that–public–so please keep that in mind when deciding what information you would like to include.
- Private Contact Information: This applies to users filling up a contact form and providing an email address and any other information in the message such as, but not limited to, a current cellphone number. This information helps us get back in touch with you.
- Content Information: Depending on the website’s services you use, you may also provide us with information about you in draft and published content or as comments to an existing post. For example, if you write a blog post or make a comment that includes biographic information about you, we will have that information, and so will anyone with access to the Internet if you choose to publish the post publicly. This might be obvious to you…but it’s not to everyone!
- Communications With Us (Hi There!): You may also provide us information when you communicate with us via live chats, emails, respond to potential surveys, or post a comment / question on our published articles.
Information We Collect Automatically
We also collect some information automatically:
- Usage Information: We collect information about your usage of our website’s services. For example, we collect information about the actions that site administrators and users perform on a site using our website’s services–in other words, who did what, when and to what thing on a site (e.g., [kalatalasristhisathi.org username] deleted “[title of post]” at [time/date]). We use this information to, for example, provide our website’s services to you, as well as get insights on how people use our website, so we can make our website better.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our website from certain geographic regions.
- Interactions with Other Users’ Sites: We collect some information about your interactions with other users’ sites while you are logged in to your account with us, such as your “Likes” and the fact that you commented on a particular post, so that we can, for example, recommend posts we think may interest you.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also get information about you from other sources. For example, if you create or log into your kalatalasristhisathi.org account through another service (like Google), we will receive information from that service (such as your username and basic profile information) via the authorization procedures used by that service. The information we receive depends on which services you authorize and any options that are available. We may also get information, such as a mailing address, from third party services about individuals who are not yet our users (but we hope will be!), which we may use, for example, for marketing and advertising purposes like postcards and other mailers advertising our services.
How And Why We Use Information
Purposes For Using Information
We use information about you as mentioned above and for the purposes listed below:
- To provide our website’s services–for example, to set up and maintain your account, or setup your public profile;
- To further develop and improve our website’s services–for example by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our website, which helps us improve our website and make them easier to use;
- To measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition–for example, we may analyze how many individuals purchased our product/s after receiving a marketing message;
- To monitor and prevent any problems with our website, protect the security of our website, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of Kalatala Sristhi Sathi Rural Development Society and others, which may result in us declining a transaction or the use of our website;
- To communicate with you, for example through an email, about offers and promotions offered by Kalatala Sristhi Sathi Rural Development Society and others we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on our website’s services and products; and
- To personalize your experience using our website, provide content recommendations, target our marketing messages to groups of our users (for example, those in a certain geography), and serve relevant advertisements.
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
A note here for those in the European Union about our legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that our use of your information is based on the grounds that:
- The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
- The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
- We have a legitimate interest in using your information–for example, to provide and update our website, to improve our website so that we can offer you an even better user experience, to safeguard our website, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent any problems with our website, and to personalize your experience; or
How We Share Information
We do not sell our users’ private personal information. We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Legal Requests: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights, Property, and Others: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Kalatala Sristhi Sathi Rural Development Society, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- Aggregated or De-Identified Information: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our website’s services and we may share a hashed version of your email address to facilitate customized ad campaigns on other platforms.
- Published Requests: And if you send us a request (for example, via an email or one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish that request in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users.
Information Shared Publicly
Information that you choose to make public is–you guessed it–disclosed publicly. That means, of course, that information like your public profile, posts you publish on kalatalasristhisathi.org, and your “Likes” and comments, are all available to others–and we hope you get a lot of views! For example, the photo that you upload to your public profile, or a default image if you haven’t uploaded one, is your Globally Recognized Avatar, or Gravatar–get it? :). Your Gravatar, along with other public profile information, will display with the comments and “Likes” that you make while logged in to your kalatalasristhisathi.org account. Public information may also be indexed by search engines or used by third parties. Please keep all of this in mind when deciding what you would like to share.
How Long We Keep Information
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue. We generally discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it–which are described in the section above on How and Why We Use Information–and we are not legally required to continue to keep it. For example, we keep the web server logs that record information about a visitor, such as the visitor’s IP address, browser type, and operating system, for approximately 30 days. We retain the logs for this period of time in order to, among other things, analyze traffic to Kalatala Sristhi Sathi Rural Development Society and investigate issues if something goes wrong. As another example, when you delete a post, page, or comment, it stays in your Trash folder for thirty days just in case you change your mind and would like restore that.
How We Protect Your Information
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring our website for potential vulnerabilities and attacks.
What Are Your Choices
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information that You Provide: If you have an account with us, you can choose not to provide the optional account information, or other profile information. Please keep in mind that if you do not provide this information, certain features of our website–for example, publishing content may not be accessible to you. If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communication: You may opt out of electronic newsletters and subscriptions by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ button in respective emails.
- Opt-Out of Analytics: You may prevent your data from being used in the website analytics program, currently provided by Google. Simply click this link to download and install the opt-out add-on for your browser.
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from us. Just follow the instructions in those messages. If you opt out of certain messages, we may still send you other messages, like those about your account and legal notices.
- Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: You can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before visiting kalatalasristhisathi.org, with the drawback that certain features of the website may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
- Close Your Account: While we’d be very sad to see you go, if you no longer want to use our website :(, you can close your kalatalasristhisathi.org account by sending us a request for account deletion via email. Please keep in mind that we may continue to retain your information after closing your account, as described in How Long We Keep Information above–for example, when that information is reasonably needed to comply with (or demonstrate our compliance with) legal obligations such as law enforcement requests, or reasonably needed for our legitimate business interests.
What Are Your Rights
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction (except change a username) or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
You can usually access, correct, or delete your personal data by sending us a request via email. EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
Other Things You Should Know
Services Provided by Others and Embedded Content